Saturday, October 27, 2012

Princess Diaries




A few weeks ago I was at a low point.  I was feeling insecure and vulnerable and just plain down and out.  So I decided to be a recluse and spend the night in watching The Princess Diaries.


This is one of my favorite movies.  I think it's probably because I can relate to Mia (at least before she's a princess).  And what girl doesn't dream of being a princess someday?


If you're unfamiliar with the movie, it's about an ordinary girl (one that tries to be invisible because of her many insecurities) who finds out one day she is a princess.  She gets a makeover and takes princess lessons to get ready to take on her role as Princess of Genovia.  Pretty quickly, Princess Mia finds that the people who liked her when she was "invisible" are her true friends and they love her for who she truly is.


Satan reminds me of my personal insecurities DAILY.  He knows best how to keep me from being effective.  He tells me I'm not pretty enough, or skinny enough, or fashionable enough.  He tells me I don't tell the right jokes or date enough guys.  He tells me I should be more talented and that I'm not living up to my potential.  He tells me I'm ineffective.  He tells me I'm invisible.


And sometimes, I listen.


But thankfully, I know where to turn for the TRUTH


"Do not let your adorning be external - the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear - but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."
-1 Peter 3:3-4 


"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."
-Proverbs 31:30


 "Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.  I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound.  In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.  I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."
-Philippians 4:11-13


I can wear more make-up, work out and lose wight, or buy new clothes.  I could try to change my personality or go out on dates with guys I'm not interested in.  I can try to learn a new talent or work towards getting the perfect job and family. 


But, if I'm not rooted in Christ, if I'm not filled with the Spirit, these things will never be enough.  They will never take away my insecurities.  They will never make me happy.  They will never keep me from being invisible. 


As I continued to watch the movie I was reminded even more how silly my own personal insecurities are.  You see, the Bible tells me I am an heir of a Kingdom.  I am a child of the King.  I am a princess.


"For all who are led by the spirit of God are sons of God.  For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, "Abba! Father!" The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs-heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him."
-Romans 8:14-17


Who would have thought The Princess Diaries was such a deep movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment